Thursday, August 29, 2013

A good day

     I went in for labs today.  My counts are low but I should be alright by the next treatment (next week).  So I don't get to be totally carefree this weekend but that's ok.  I didn't have big plans anyways.

     I met a young man today that has the exact same situation I have.  Well not entirely the same I'm sure but the one kidney thing and Ewings sarcoma.  I was waiting for the nurse when I heard another nurse telling the family about me and how they had to meet me.  She said zoo keeper and that is when I started listening in on the conversation.  I remember this same nurse telling me there was a 19 year old with the same case and that I should meet him.  I never did and he did something bad and is no longer at moffitt.  I always wondered if I had met him, if I could have helped him through his tough times.  So, I popped my head into the room and said hello.  They took my email and asked a couple of questions.  His name is Grant and he is 26 years old.  I remember when Jeremy and I sat in that room and were blindsided by the treatment plan.  I thought about what it would have done for us had someone with the same plan came into that room, being halfway done with treatments, so I could see what I had to look forward to...good or bad.  I know I helped him and his family and that made me smile.  I hope he has as easy a time with treatment as I have had.  Otherwise, I'll feel like a liar.

     Since I'm supposed to avoid crowds, I decided to go to the art room and paint.  Apparently, I've become a 'regular' and they asked me to be in their new brochure.  My face is going to be all over moffitt supporting the arts in medicine program.  Pretty cool.

4 comments:

  1. this whole post made me smile! it was like a B12 shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is what it is all about. Helping others through whatever terms are needed. You are an inspiration. I am sure your words to that young man made a difference to his day. Big or small. You are a rock star, and the impact you make on others lives is huge. Even if you don't realize it, it is there. You are a magnificent human being.

    So lets see, you have been on tv, now you are going to be in a brochure (I want a copy). You are famous! LOL.

    Love you much!!!

    ReplyDelete